Preparing for the Sleep Study
In order to get the best results from your overnight stay, please review the following recommendations:
- Avoid anything containing caffeine the day of your study. This includes chocolate, caffeinated soft drinks, coffee or tea.
- Try to wake up earlier the day of your study and avoid a nap the day of the study.
- You will need to take a bath/shower shortly before coming in for your study in order to remove oils that accumulate during the day. Make sure to wash with soap and a washcloth in order to properly remove all oils. Avoid lotions or after-bath powders after bathing. Please make sure that you have a clean shaved face before coming in for your study if you do not wear a beard.
- If you would like to bring your own pillow, you may. However, the sleep center will provide you with pillows.
- Bring something comfortable to sleep in. If you don’t usually wear pajamas, don’t feel the need to buy them for the study. Loose fitting shorts and a tee shirt are acceptable. Your comfort is an essential part of the diagnostic test. You may want to bring a robe to wear before you actually go to bed. Nude sleeping is not permitted.
- You will generally be awakened by 5:30 a.m., unless otherwise requested.
- There is no shower at our facility so you will need to make the necessary arrangements to freshen up in you are going to work after being released in the morning.
- You may bring reading material or anything that will help you pass the time if you have trouble falling asleep or have a bedtime that is a half hour or more later than the scheduled hook-up time of sleep equipment. Wi-Fi is also available in most locations.
- Please remember to bring any and all completed Questionnaires that have been sent to you. These materials are crucial for the analysis and interpretation of your sleep study. The technologist will make sure all of the information in your packet is completely filled out. If not, we will delay the start of your study until all information is completed.
- If you have any further questions not answered by this pre-sleep information guide, please feel free to contact our office and we will be happy to answer any remaining questions you may have.
- If you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment, please contact our office at 866.790.2813 before 4pm the day of your study to avoid the $50 cancellation fee. Please call the after-hours number on the message if you must cancel between 4pm and the time of your study. If you fail to cancel your appointment in advance and do not show up for